Lana Holmes & Naturally High
🐎What is Naturally High’s background?
Naturally High was bred in France and moved to Gary Moore’s yard in 2019 before leaving for Paddy Butler’s in 2024
🐎Why Naturally High?
An owner I was riding for had an ROR from Paddy Butler, knowing it was a life goal of mine to retrain a race horse, I was put in contact with Paddy who then invited me to the yard to have a look round some boxes. He showed me a couple horses nothing took my eye till he pulled out what he described as “the rolls Royce of the yard”. Paddy pulled him out and said “if it was up to me he’d stay here forever” his wife looked horrified and said they didn’t keep pets. We all laughed but I could see exactly why he would want the ride for himself. Naturally high, run the day before, pulled up at plumpton with a lack of desire to run. A once successful racehorse now lost his heart in racing. He was striking. Distinctive markings. Large framed and well put together. Athletic form, altho lean, clear to be able to one day be filled. I knew immediately I was sold, so that week I rode him out in the string across the downs. This peak fitness race horse had a level head despite a good pace. I knew exactly that’s what I wanted, something with a good head. I decided to move to work on a 5* Olympic event yard so at the end of the same week I picked him up and moved him with me across the Uk to work for Vittoria Pannzion.
An owner I was riding for had an ROR from Paddy Butler, knowing it was a life goal of mine to retrain a race horse, I was put in contact with Paddy who then invited me to the yard to have a look round some boxes. He showed me a couple horses nothing took my eye till he pulled out what he described as “the rolls Royce of the yard”. Paddy pulled him out and said “if it was up to me he’d stay here forever” his wife looked horrified and said they didn’t keep pets. We all laughed but I could see exactly why he would want the ride for himself. Naturally high, run the day before, pulled up at plumpton with a lack of desire to run. A once successful racehorse now lost his heart in racing. He was striking. Distinctive markings. Large framed and well put together. Athletic form, altho lean, clear to be able to one day be filled. I knew immediately I was sold, so that week I rode him out in the string across the downs. This peak fitness race horse had a level head despite a good pace. I knew exactly that’s what I wanted, something with a good head. I decided to move to work on a 5* Olympic event yard so at the end of the same week I picked him up and moved him with me across the Uk to work for Vittoria Pannzion.
🐎What is Naturally High like at home?
Naturally high, better known as Apollo or known on the yard as Lollo. Within a week off the track was nannying youngster out hacking, showing his level headed nature. Hes a sweet on the ground however shows to be particularly bonded with myself. He can be a pain when I’m not around to handle him myself, which as much as it’s a compliment can be frustrating when I’m away on comp groom duties. He’s wonderfully ditsy and defo on the air head side but we all love him. Being an event groom has it’s hard times and having a horse to outlet the stress and struggles has been the best thing. He puts and smile on my face and keeps me going.
Naturally high, better known as Apollo or known on the yard as Lollo. Within a week off the track was nannying youngster out hacking, showing his level headed nature. Hes a sweet on the ground however shows to be particularly bonded with myself. He can be a pain when I’m not around to handle him myself, which as much as it’s a compliment can be frustrating when I’m away on comp groom duties. He’s wonderfully ditsy and defo on the air head side but we all love him. Being an event groom has it’s hard times and having a horse to outlet the stress and struggles has been the best thing. He puts and smile on my face and keeps me going.
🐎What were your steps to retraining him?
1.Weight gain - one lean, fit horse needed downtime and calories. Turning him out meant stretching his tense body and food supply, his feed nourishing him now with his work reducing
2.Physio - his frame was tight, trouble flexing and using his body has been drastically helped with regular physio
3.Chiro - to make physio worth it and correct a “stuck” frame. Chiro work helped to allow freedom in his body.
4.Dentist - his teeth were due, hanging onto the bit and sharp, the dentist worked wonders and led to a much quieter horse in the mouth
5.Farrier - typical race horse, terrible hoof quality from constant plate replacement. Importance of a sound horse often stars from the shoes, tactful shoeing was a must
6.Gut work - stress, poor diet, routine and high intensity often leads to ulcers. Using “Succeed” the treatment of his gut has made the most difference in his comfort in his work l.
7.Long and Low hacking, the first intro to work would be long and low hacking, encouraging the body to lengthen and work over his back, lots of trotting up hills to work the back end muscles
8.Lunging, teach shape is hard with also teaching new aids. Lunging with aids such as side reins means the correct muscles can develop, making ridden work easier.
9.Schooling was all focused on long and low. Asking him to really travel using his back and core. Quick to reward correct shape. Also introducing transitions and flexion. Getting his attention and keeping him focused in the work
10.Fun, getting him out with friends, playing with poles and getting him enjoying his work
How’s it going
We are 2 months into his retraining and I currently have a happy horse, who’s taking on all challenges. He’s trying his heart out and picking up everything so quickly.
🐎What are your future goals with him?
Of course the dream is to eventually event. Building his flat work, beginning the work over fences and I aim to be eventing by next season. Have an all rounder able to compete and enjoy fun rides.
Comments
Post a Comment